Funding for Postgrad Research, German Studies at University College Dublin
Applications are invited for a bursary (commencing in September 2021) for the first year of a full-time postgraduate research degree (M.Litt. or PhD) in German Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics.
German Studies at UCD has a strong research profile in the following areas:
- History of Ideas
- Eighteenth- and nineteenth- century German Literature
- Relationship between Philosophy and Literature, Music and Literature, Religion and Literature
- German and Austrian fin de siècle
- Post-war and Contemporary German-language literature
- German-Turkish Literature
- Translation Studies
- Transnational German Studies
- Cultural Theory
- Cultural Memory
For a comprehensive list of areas with links to individual staff profiles, see:
Applications are welcome from graduates with a first-class or 2.1 honours primary degree in German Studies or a cognate discipline, or who hold a relevant MA degree. The deadline for applications is midnight on 30 June.
The bursary covers:
- Full fees waiver for one year for EU applicants (€6,530), or contribution towards fees reduction for non-EU students
- Scholarship of €4,000 for the year
- Full participation in the research activities of the School and the Humanities Institute of Ireland (HI)
- Membership of the Humanities Institute research community, including dedicated workspace and shared breakout spaces in the HI building
- Opportunity to undertake paid language teaching for undergraduate students
In addition, applicants may also apply for the separate Helga and Hugh Staunton Scholarship (€5,000 for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a further two years).
The successful candidate will be actively supported in applying for funding for subsequent years (e.g., IRC scholarship, UCD internal funding opportunities).
Interested candidates should send a brief research proposal of approx. 1,500 words, as well as a short CV (max. 2 pages) and relevant academic transcript. Successful applicants will be interviewed by a selection panel via Zoom during July.
The completed application should be assembled as one pdf document, and emailed to the Head of German, Dr Siobhán Donovan (email@example.com) by midnight of 30 June 2021.
College of Arts and Humanities Doctoral Scholarships
Candidates are encouraged to apply for these scholarships (valid for 4 years each) on a topic aligned to one of the eight strategic research themes in the College. Closing date: 30 June 2021.
German Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
M. Litt. (Research Masters) Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
PhD Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics