2 PhD positions Travel Writing / Translation / Early Modern Period, Mainz
2 Academic Staff Members (PhD positions)
These jobs are advertised in the context of the DFG-financed research project “Naturwissenschaftliches Wissen und westeuropäische Reiseliteratur über Afrika in Übersetzung, 1600-1820” / “Scientific Knowledge and Western European Travel Writing on Africa in Translation, 1600-1820” (https://anglistik.fb06.uni-mainz.de/scientific-knowledge-and-travel-writing/).
- Conduct individual research in the area of travel literature research with the goal of earning a doctorate
- to contribute to the project’s research focus on travel writing, history of science and translation studies
- to examine knowledge exchange between the geographical areas covered by the project in the early modern period, within the context of a doctoral dissertation
Applicants must meet the requirements stipulated in the Higher Education Act of Rhineland-Palatinate (§ 58 HochSchG in conjunction with § 57 HochSchG) and must have:
- a successfully completed university degree (Master/MA/MSc) in the field of history, cultural studies, literary or translation studies
- good knowledge of the German language
- excellent knowledge of two of the three other project languages (Dutch, English, French)
What we have to offer:
- an exciting and varied position in a well-qualified, international team
- the facilities and support to promote the further development and consolidation of academic potential
- flexible working time arrangements
The position is remunerated according to EG 13 TV-L and is to be filled for 36 months as of 01.01.2022.
The position serves the purpose of academic qualification (PhD).
We are a place of diversity and welcome qualified applications from people with any background.
We aim to increase the proportion of women in the academic field and are therefore particularly interested in applications from women.
Qualified applicants with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration.
Do you see the variety and responsibility of these tasks as a personal challenge? Then apply now by November 3rd, 2021, preferably by submitting your full application and documentation via our “Apply now” button.
If you have any questions, please contact
Prof Dr. Alison E. Martin. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org