Funding for Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Research at University College Dublin
German Studies at UCD has a strong research profile in the following areas:
- History of Ideas
- Eighteenth- and nineteenth- century German Literature
- Relationship between Philosophy and Literature, Music and Literature, Religion and Literature
- German and Austrian fin de siècle
- Post-war and Contemporary German-language literature
- Turkish-German culture
- Transnational German Studies
- Cultural Theory
- Cultural Memory
For a comprehensive list of areas with links to individual staff profiles, see:
We welcome applications for PhD and postdoctoral study funded by the Irish Research Council and are happy to offer support with applications: https://research.ie/
Applications are also invited for UCD German’s Helga and Hugh Staunton Scholarship – deadline 1st September. The scholarship covers either local MA fees (currently €7610) or local PhD fees (currently €6790) for the year of the award. It is awarded to a registered postgraduate student of proven academic excellence who wishes to pursue postgraduate studies in German at UCD. Applications for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in German will also be considered for an award of €6790.
Terms and Conditions:
- Applicants must be resident in Ireland and registered for a postgraduate programme in German at UCD (taught MA in German, Master by research, PhD), at the time of taking up the scholarship. Applicants for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in German may also be considered.
- The Helga and Hugh Staunton Scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis. Applicants must have an excellent academic track record and they must hand in a written application with the following supporting documentation: a) a curriculum vitae, b) academic transcripts, c) a description of their research project d) two supporting references. Application should be made to the Head of German, email@example.com, and also sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Awards made to MA students are for one year and may not be extended.
- If an award is made to a PhD student, it may be renewed for two further years after the completion of year one, provided that the PhD student has made sufficient progress. A progress report and a supporting reference from the supervisor will be required.
- Awards made to Postdoctoral Fellows are for one year only. The Postdoctoral Fellow is expected to have a well-defined research project which must be completed during the Fellowship period.
- The successful candidate is expected to actively participate in the school research colloquium. PhD scholarship holders and postdoctoral fellows may be asked to give a paper on their research during the scholarship period.
- It is within the discretion of the German subject to split the scholarship between two suitable candidates.
German Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
M. Litt. (Research Masters) Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics
PhD Studies in the UCD School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics