GSA 2023: Current Digital Research in German Studies, Montral (09.03.2023)
Current Digital Research in German Studies
German Studies Association 47th Annual Conference
5-8 October, 2023, Le Centre Sheraton Montreal in Montréal, Quebec.
Panel sponsored by the GSA Digital Humanities Interdisciplinary Network
The GSA Digital Humanities Network invites research papers, case studies, and explorations of best practices at the interface of German Studies and Digital Humanities. Scholars at all career stages (graduate student to faculty) are invited to submit.
The Digital Humanities have matured in recent years. At the same time, new research questions, methods, tools, opportunities and challenges constantly arise, especially in the area of (critical) AI, as well as new areas of humanistic inquiry and critical reflection of digital research methodology, digital technologies and digital cultures. German Studies is no exception to this trajectory, and a reflection of current developments in the field is more necessary than ever.
This panel especially encourages submissions for presentations on current advances in the following areas:
- Digital scholarly editing, scholarly platforms and databases
- German digital culture (from Lutz’ Stochastische Gedichte to German digital feminist cultures, and Black German, Asian German, intersectional and diverse online communities, German games and nerd cultures, social, political and intersectional challenges of German digital cultures)
- Natural language processing and computational literary studies, applied computational and corpus linguistics
- Critical code studies, critical AI studies, and DH methodological reflections (current challenges from born-digital artifacts to ChatGPT in German and other AI-related challenges in the DACH region)
- The Intersection of DH and media theory
- Environmental and political impacts of digital technologies, reflections thereof in German literature and culture
Any questions about this panel, its scope and format can be sent to Thorsten Ries (Thorsten.Ries@austin.utexas.edu) and Fabian Offert (email@example.com).
Submission format for this panel:
Abstract: 300-word abstract
Deadline: March 09, 2023
Submission form: https://utexas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cvakCRJAbdJaxxk